On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:49:26 +0100
> From: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] canvas background options
>
> Hi,
>
> Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Given my previous comments that is understandable and I think
> > discoverability is important but it doesn't make sense to have a seperate
> > menu item for every obscure feature and to me this is most definately an
> > obscure feature.
>
> It has been requested over and over again so there are certainly
> people who see a need for it.

I never claimed some people wouldn't find it useful.

> > Perhaps I might have been less quick to complain if it had been only
> > one menu item that shows a dialog but it is not, it is a submenu
> > with several menu items and that seems a lot like clutter to me.
>
> It is a submenu, so it is only a single menu entry

i dont follow that logic

> and thus certainly not clutter. It would have been clutter to use a
> dialog for something that can be easily done using a small submenu.

i think a small dialog with all the options in one place would not be any
worse than the current setup

> Can we please stop this useless discussion here?

'Useless discussion'.

Thanks for the encouragement, with that attitude is it any wonder more
people dont try and provide feedback and try and improve the gimp.

And you don't seem to understand why I think you are rude and abrupt.

> I get the impression that you are trying very hard to find something to
> criticise.

I'm not trying very hard to find it, finding problems is relatively easy
finding solutions and finding the time to provide feedback in way you will
actually listen to is what is time consuming.  There is plenty of room for
improvement as the long list of bug reports in bugzilla will attest to, as
the numerous FIXME in the PDB Browser and the TODO in the code.  If more
developers were to use other graphics software like Adobe Photoshop or
Paint Shop Pro you would see there is even more ways that the gimp could
be could be improved.

What am trying hard to do is discuss ideas and find ways to improve things
but you seem unwilling to tolerate polite and resonable discussion,
perhaps you expect ideas to come out of nowhere fully formed or
implementations to be just right first time.

> Why do you have to show so much disrespect for other people's work?

Why are you so resistant to discussion?
Why are you so willing to dismiss criticisms instead of trying harder to
see if things really can be improved?

It is not disrespect to think that things can be improved.
If I had no respect I would give up entirely and would not make any effort
to use the gimp or provide feedback and try and improve it.

- Alan H.