http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/news/previews/

>  - nifty things you can tweak in the Preferences dialog and in gimprc

any suggestions where this information can be found?

>  - customizing the GIMP user interface

http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/news/toolbox/

i can contribute to additional documentation about the things mentioned
above.

>  - customizing the splash image

this has been something i have quite a bit of impartial experience with
lately (and earlier also) and much of the work has been done already
towards this on my web site:
http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/news/splash/

that said, i was unable to get the random splash screens i read about
recently ....

carol