Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:59:44 +0200 (CEST)
   From: Dennis Bjorklund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   > The ctrl-L popup has lots of problems; not only is it not
   > apparent how to get to it (there's nothing that points at
   > ctrl-L), but it's very clumsy to use (you have to type ctrl-L,
   > type in the filename -- while having to deal with its quirks --
   > and then click OK twice).

   No one say that the CTRL-L is any good. It's just a workaround for
   those of us that are used to tab completion, until we have
   something better. I hope it can work as explained above in the
   future.

Unless they've changed it further, you still don't have the text entry
box visible.

   > and find the one I want).  As far as images go, I currently have
   > about 70 directories with images (65 subdirectories for my
   > digital camera, and some miscellaneous ones).

   Maybe you need one bookmark to the parent and not 65 bookmarks to
   all subdirectories,

I don't really need bookmarks at all for this.  I simply want to type

/images/dcim/138canon/crw_3888.jpg

(to identify a particularly interesting photo of a sunset in Bermuda,
for example) without the dialog trying to "helpfully" (and slowly)
autocomplete through all of that mess and without having to open a
second, modal dialog (I thought that modal dialogs are supposed to be
really bad juju?).

Actually, the more common issue I deal with as Gutenprint lead
developer is that I print an image named "colors4.tif" to a file
(usually I name it /tmp/b.prn).  I then run a command named "unprint"
to generate a .pnm file from the output:

unprint < /tmp/b.prn > /tmp/b.pnm

following which I want to inspect that file (to see the effect that
changes I've made to the Gutenprint source have made certain changes
to the output, without having to waste a lot of ink and paper).  The
problem here is that colors4.tif lives in /images, so if I open a file
from that context, I'm in /images whereas I really want to open a file
in /tmp (as you can guess, a file named /tmp/b.pnm can be opened very
quickly with 11 keystrokes if the dialog doesn't get in my way).

A variation I might do is to look at just one color plane.  While
working on the Epson Stylus Photo R800 with its red and "blue" inks,
for example, I might want to see the effect that changes in this code
have on the red ink generation:

unprint -m 100 < /tmp/b.prn > /tmp/b100.pnm

or even

for f in 1 2 4 8 100 200 ; do unprint -m $f < /tmp/b.prn > /tmp/b$f.pnm

to get individual PNM's of each color plane separately (needless to
say, I don't retype that command each time; I use ctrl-p in bash for
that purpose).  Since /tmp is usually full of all kinds of garbage,
scrolling around in there in the new dialog isn't much fun.  I
sometimes use Cinepaint (taking the hit in extra memory consumption
from having both the GIMP and Cinepaint running at the same time) to
view these files just because the GTK2 dialog is so unwieldly for my
purpose.

Again: adding a simple text entry box for the filename, with tab
completion but not autocompletion, would entirely solve my problem
here!

   > Navigating through all of this is a real pain; the ones I'm most
   > interested in I simply memorize.

   Right, and I make bookmarks of the places I use the most.

   Anyway, what I said was just that going back to the old dialog
   removes the bookmark feature that I use a lot. So no matter if you
   use the new or old dialog one of us will be unhappy. Not that going
   back seems to be an option, but if it was I would be against it.

I have no problem with bookmarks, but I just don't think they're a
panacea.  The reason I mentioned bookmarks is that the various bug
reports, mailing list discussions, etc. seem to promote bookmarks
heavily.  For my purpose (at least with the GIMP) they're not useful.

--Eric Crampton