Hi,

Robert L Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The problem is that there's no one method that "works best for
> people".  People like Marc and I find the old dialog much more suited
> to our needs than the new one.

The GtkFileChooser widget was designed to be modular from the very
beginning. There is a reason why the current implementation lives in a
file called gtkfilechooserdefault.c. What keeps you from writing a
different implementation that implements the GtkFileChooser interface?

> Two problems with this:
>
> 1) There's no visual cue that typing in a filename will do anything.

I don't think that's a problem because the dialog is still usable
without knowing about this and sooner or later the user will find
out. After all typeahead is something that works in all list views.

> 2) The secondary popup is very annoying (either it's going to pop up
>    under the mouse, in which case it's going to obscure other parts of
>    the dialog, or it isn't going to have focus for those of us who use
>    focus strictly follows mouse).

Didn't I say already that the secondary popup is bad and should go
away? What point are you trying to make?