On 9/23/05, Lance Dockins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Actually... I was trying to figure out what the best way to do that
> would be...  mostly because I run GIMP in a Win32 environment, so
> compiling GIMP isn't quite as straightforward as it is in Linux.  If I

Solution: Linux/POSIX emulation layer.  Cygwin is usually used.

MinGW/MSYS is also workable, IIRC.  I've never compiled GIMP on either, though.

> could figure out how to compile from CVS on Win32, I definitely would.
> Of course, I'm just going on the info I found at wiki.gimp.org that said
> that compiling from CVS required additional software.  Then again, maybe

Cygwin or MinGW/MSYS, as I said.

You'll also need the development codes for various graphics libraries,
e.g. libpng-dev.  These are provided in sepearte packages (e.g. select
in the Cygwin Installer) or available by compiling the libraries from
source.

> I'm just overcomplicating this.  Is it as simple as downloading the
> source from CVS and compiling it?  And for that matter, if that's the

Almost.

> case, is there an easy way to download the source from CVS?  Thanks in

The cvs tool. ;)

> advance for any feedback you can offer.
>
> Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Lance Dockins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >

> >> I've been testing GIMP 2.3.3 and I noticed that some of the changes of
> >> late have indicated we're nearing a 2.3.4 release.  Does anyone know
> >> what timeframe we're looking at for the 2.3.4 release?
> >>

> > Whenever I get around to do it, which will hopefully be this weekend.
> > But, seriously, why don't you just use CVS?

Of course, at the end of the day, I think it'd be nicest if they made
an installer for the Windows binaries for the development releases,
but I'm quite sure that's probably more work than it's worth.

One of these days, I know I'll get around to compiling GIMP from CVS
myself.  Just need to clear out some working space first.

--
~Mike
 - Just my two cents