> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 13:12:02 +0200, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > For GIMP 2.6, we will need high-quality and optimised scaling algorithms
> > implemented as GEGL operators. Perhaps it would be a good idea to write
> > such operators now so that we can start to use them when we port the
> > core to GEGL.
>
> Doubtful. I can find a bit of time to tweek in the existing code but 2.6
> seems a very long way off just now and I really dont have the time to get
> deeply into geggling.

GEGL supposedly has quite readable code that is running and works,
modifying that code base to deal with this properly will most probably
been seen as more lasting contributions than changing code that
eventually only will live on machines running legacy 2.4 series GIMP
due either to low performance hardware or depending on legacy behavior
like having an indexed mode.

> A bit nearer the time maybe.

The time is now, and GIMP will soon enough start needing more and more
adjustments/specialized operations to be implemented. More people
looking at the code, and complain when things are difficult to
understand, namings of APIs could be changed; will help getting the
GEGL code base and APIs into sufficiently good shape for the 2.5
development cycle of GIMP.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/