design.I am studying Computer Science and Product Design, later planning to
study and work in Interaction/Interface. I would like to volunteer for the
UI design of GIMP.

Were can I upload a mock-up of UI changes?

2007/8/1, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 08:45:05 +0200
> From: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp "switchers"
> To: Robert Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 14:25 +1200, Robert Carter wrote:
>
> > And also possibly (less important)
> > = GTK behaviours of the panels (photoshop has several tools on the
> > same button)
> > = Fullscreen behaviour (panels remain visible, windowed / grey
> > ground / black ground - toggling)
> >
> > My main question is: How to do this in a way that will work in
> > harmony with the current customisation options, so people can switch
> > to standard gimp UI if they wish.
>
> Why would you want to do it this way? Just work with us to improve the
> standard UI. That means a better user experience for all users and much
> less hassle and maintainance work than making such things optional.
>
> We will not work towards making GIMP more like Photoshop but that
> doesn't mean that we aren't willing to make drastic changes to the user
> interface. Perhaps you should discuss your ideas with the team working
> on the redesign of the GIMP user interface (http://gui.gimp.org). We
> will appreciate your help when it comes to implementing these changes.
>
> Sven

What's the point of a wiki that cann't be edited (there's no option for
creating an account in http://gui.gimp.org)

layer modes: we understand the power, but there is also something horribly
> wrong with it; the best a user can do is scroll through the list of modes
> and see what happens, and that is not being in control of your tool; any
> workflow that includes a layer mode for rather straightforward goals
> indicates an interaction problem we have to solve;

Just keep the layer modes. Users don't know exactly what can happen, but
they do have an idea (this comes from personal experience). I use layers
with just one color and layer modes for special effects. Also, I even have a
batch of 3 layer modes used after scanning black and white drawings (sure
this can be done using a new "enhance tool" but it is not necessary). The
photomanipulations that I make (
http://zensui.deviantart.com/gallery/digitalart/photomanip/) wouldn't be
possible without layer modes.