Interestingly enough, I could never think of a splash screen that
would be made for one version (2.4) and imposible to rework for other
(2.6). You proved it's possible :) Nonetheless, The Gimp allows
everyone to change default splash screen, so you can still make it
available to the others.

What concerns brushes, I think it would be nice to have links to all
known brush, pattern, etc. pages in one central page (or even have
resource database).