I'm successfully running Ubuntu 7.10 with a Graphire 3; The
appropriate Device sections for the tablet were correctly specified
after installation.
I had to uncomment the following lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to fully
enable the tablet:

        InputDevice     "stylus"        "SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice     "cursor"        "SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice     "eraser"        "SendCoreEvents"

Otherwise it would just operate like a mouse.