Felipe:
Tabs don't work for image manipulation because is frequent to compare
between two+ images or work with two views (one zoomed and the other at
100%) . If we use tabs we have only one image open at a time and that's
mostly a problem for pros.
Another common procedure is to have two images opened and drag and drop
elements (layers) from one to the other. That's not possible with gimp
currently, but it would be a nice addition that would be impossible with
tabs.
Imo, image windows should remain independant. I guess that there are two
options to deal with the problem of the taskbar buttons.
1) As I proposed in my mockup, just make the toolbox and docker
dependant of the active image.
       - When there is no image open: use the splash (one button in the
taskbar named GIMP)
       - When there is one image open: panels attached to the image (one
button in the taskbar named GIMP-[document name])
       - When there is two+ images: panels attached to the focused image
(one button per image in taskbar).
Pretty similar to the current behaviour, but removing the extra buttons
of the panels.

2) Create (well, it's in part already done) a switcher between opened
images. The problem is... where do we place it.
Right now there is a button that allows to choose which of the opened
images will be displayed in the panels (by default it is set to aouto).
Maybe it would be nice to redesign that dialog  making it more graphic,
and make it work as an "opened documets switcher".

I'll try to find some convenient way to make it, but I'd love to know
what the UI team think about it.

Regards,
Gez.