On Jan 25, 2008 10:06 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:

> I think it would be a lot more useful if we would just collect a list of
> tasks that we consider important, without sticking them into a
> particular release time-frame.

This is what Inkscape guys do. They have a roadmap based on a rough
estimation, what features might be released in what version, and they
manage to work within it, implementing some planned features sooner
than "planned" and some - later.

Their users just got used to having a new release every ~6 months, so
they don't bother much about particular features not being implemented
in a particular new version, because they are more or less sure that
it won't take ages to see it done. Even now, when the 0.46 is about 5
months off the usual "schedule", noone is crying out loud.

So yes - something in these lines could work. Roadmaps are positive -
people see that what they need is planned to be addressed. And we need
positive users, don't we? ;-)

Alexandre