On Jan 26, 2008 12:09 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2008 4:20 PM, David Gowers wrote:
>
> > What significant sequence of actions that you can take is there, that
> > cannot be done by simple graph editing?
>
> Users do not think in terms of graphs, they think in terms of actions
> and sequences of actions. They want to click Record, mess around with
> filters etc., then just click Stop and be able to replay it to any
> number of other images, send this sequence of actions to a collegue or
> use his sequence of actions. This is about productivity.

What I was talking about -- recording is automatic, it's always happening.
Every change to the image can be recorded, because most changes (say,
gaussian blurring) can be recorded with a trivial amount of memory
(what type of node is it, where is it connected, what properties does
it have and what are their values). This is easily seen when you look
at GEGL's current XML format.

In short -- what you call 'action recording', I call 'packaging up a
chunk of the undo stack'.  Really, your 'start' and 'stop' actions
would be trivial to implement:
mark the start location in undo stack; mark the end; and prompt the
user for a filename. Applying them is similarly trivial (choose an
action, load it, append to the undo stack)