On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:56 PM, peter sikking <pe...@mmiworks.net> wrote:
> OK, first the 5-slot color history:
>
>> So far, no one has given any feedback on the idea, or indeed any
>> acknowledgement of it. This disappoints me
>

> Sorry, I had to think about it more before stepping in to this,
> doing that yesterday would have been too fast.

127> I see we need to maintain the following iron compatibility,
> with tools, scripts and users:
>
> - there needs to be a foreground color and an alternate,
>   call them fg and alt, and they always need to have a value.
>
> - swapping fg and alt is very important. the magic-X is
>   holy for usability sake. in the heat of painting it can
>   be pressed with a surprising high frequency, so giving
>   any meaning to clicking X twice is not possible.
Yes (although, in case there is any confusion: it's impossible to swap
colors while painting.
Oddly, it's NOT impossible for colors to change during painting (do
something like, open a gimp-python console and run "import
time;time.sleep (10.0);gimp.set_foreground(127,255,0)" and start
painting (hold the mouse button down) for about 15 seconds -- the
color will change and glitching occurs (brush apparently becomes a
square block of similar size when you are painting the second color)
)

> - the color of fg can be changed (color selector, eyedropper).
>   this cannot change the value of alt.
Yeah ;(

> - assigning the default black + white to fg and alt needs to stay.
>   way to much meaning behind that, mask painting for instance.
>
> disappointing conclusion: there is not much we can change about
> the current fg + bg, except renaming it to fg + alt, and fiddle with
> how it is used for instance in Edit->Fill with ..., or for creating
> new layers. The 5-slot color history can only work for fg, alt is
> not part of that (drag and drop of colors from history to alt could
> work, however). fg+history need another key-press than X to cycle
> through.
Hmm, this idea deserves some consideration. FG+history.
I do really think we need to reduce the role of alt/BG/whatever we
call it -- visually I mean -- since it's mainly used for corner cases
and thus has less importance. I think we could benefit somewhat from
changing the toolbox color status display to look like this:

FFFFFF
FFFFFF
rBBBBx

where F=FG B=BG and r/x = reset/swap (A variation on the design I
posted earlier related to color history)

This has also the advantage of making the FG area a better click target.

> the whole 5-slot color history (plus a pop-up with a lot of more (49?)
> older history) can be packed in the current fg/bg color dockable
> toolbox: no, I do not think so.
I admit I'm out of touch there -- I never have that little status
display enabled :)
Anyway if BG/alt is required, then there's no reason to make any such
modification, yes.

> yesterday I said:
>> I can only see this change as an UI
>> improvement if it means getting rid of the bg color swatch.
>> Only then we can reach the goal of less user thinking,
>> instead of more.
>

> hmmm, bg (call it alt) is not going to go away;
> getting the bg color disconnected from file flattening during export
> is ruined by edge cases;
> and the layers always having an alpha: actually, why is that not
> simply so today?

I thought it was simply a matter of efficiency, alpha channel
inflating layer memory requirements by 33% minimum (RGB) up to 100%
maximum (GRAY / INDEXED)

David