When you paste a second time, the first paste should still be visible
and selected(?) and the floating selection is the current drawable,
and thus the second paste end up on top of it (allowing for difference
in paste sizes), right?  Can you elaborate on the precise order of
operations that results in the second paste ending up somewhere
"random"?