Hello,

I was about to write a rather detailed interface/feature improvement
suggestion about the brush editing feature in GIMP but then I thought
that first it would be better to show you all this (incomplete)
interface mock-up I made:

http://i32.tinypic.com/1zwdwts.png

Basically, in my vision, the brush editing dockable window would be much
more detailed than what is now, containing most settings in common
between brush-based tools (and also many new more), which is similar to
what happens in other professional bitmap editing programs.

Not only this would result in a more powerful brush editing process, but
also in a significant reduction of icons in the toolbox. Many of the
brush based tools that are there right now would become brush presets,
which would work very well with the new tagging feature introduced in
the GIT version of GIMP.

Obviously backward compatibility with previous brush versions would need
to be maintained in some way.

If it turns out that brush editing in GIMP is actually going into this
direction I'll be happy to describe much more in detail the interface
and the behavior of the options and settings I have in mind
(unfortunately I'm not an experienced programmer so I cannot explain in
detail specific implementation details).

--
SHIRAKAWA Akira