Christopher Howard-3 wrote:

> Its about having a product you aren't afraid to advertise. ..... As soon
> as I say "GIMP," you can see
> the doubt on their faces, because they associate the word with being
> weak or lame.

I agree with this.  Many people shy away from using products that aren't
mainstream, and have little to do with (or knowledge of) open source
software alternatives.  There is nothing about the current name that
inspires confidence or denotes competence.

I think that the time to change the name would be when a release comes out
that has an option to run in a single window.  This is a major change that
people have requested for some time and this new configuration is sure to be
discussed widely on the internet.  That version could be called something
like "Gimp+".  Over time this might become shortened in blogs, forums, etc.
to "G+", and then a later major release could use that as the name.  The
whole time, Wilber the mascot would remain basically the same to provide
continuity.  I'm no ad wizard so I don't claim this is the best naming
strategy, but I think it provides an example of how the rebranding process
could go.