On 03/09/2010 04:12 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 15:51 -0500, Jay Smith wrote:
>
>> The above exchange occurred today on the Gimp-User list.
>>
>> I am posting here for discussion prior to posting an Enhancement
>> Suggestion on Bugzilla.
>>
>> For a future version, I wish to propose adding the ability to reverse
>> the direction of the black/white in the Curves dialog.  A toggle button.
>
> The reason that I suggested that you do this change to your local copy
> of GIMP is that I don't think that this change would be useful for a
> large part of our target user base.
>
> Adding this option to the source code will make the code harder to
> maintain and will increase the likelihood of bugs being introduced (by
> that particular change or at a later point in time). Adding a toggle
> button will make the user interface more complex and will degrade the
> user experience for most users.
>
> So unless you can persuade us that this feature is in-line with the
> product vision that we have for GIMP and that it is indeed important
> enough to outweigh the disadvantages that I explained above, we are not
> going to consider it.
>

> Sven

The greatest benefit that comes to my mind is that it puts the user in
control and allows the user to align the program to their way of
thinking/working.

However, *if* Alexia is correct and that the "standard" is to do it as
Gimp currently does (black in lower left), then making such a change is
not as useful to most users as it would be to me.

While "putting the user in control" may or may not (?) be part of Gimp's
product vision, I suggest that it should be.

The same can be said for things like having the program remember various
dialog settings the user has changed.  (I posted about one of those in
the Gimp-User list today.)

The general arguments you raise such as "code harder to maintain" and
"interface more complex" are all perfectly legitimate and could be said
of virtually any program change.  However, they are not a "shield" from
change.  Rather, they are a "filter" which must be passed as part of a
cost/benefit analysis.

Jay