On 08/26/2010 09:19 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 21:11 +0200, g...@catking.net wrote:
>
>> If I want a colour , I should find it on the colour menu . If I want to
>> select  layers I should fine the necessary interface elements on the
>> layer menu.
>
> Sounds reasonable. We could duplicate the menu items from the Dockables
> menu that raise/create those dialogs in the places where they belong. So
> we would have "Layers dialog" in the "Image/Layers" menu and the like.
> That's as simple as editing the XML files in the menus sub-directory.
> Perhaps someone wants to come up with a patch...

I don't think we should duplicate any menu items. Having things in two
places tends to cause unnecessary confusion. A user will have to answer
questions like "Why is this menu item in two places? Is it the same menu
item? Does it do the same thing? Which one should I use now?" Having
just one place to do things avoids such ambiguity and mental friction.

If people have troubles finding the Layers dockable, we should instead
look into making it more discoverable, like adding a 'Dockables' top
menu or moving them directly under 'Windows' instead of having a sub menu.

  / Martin

--

My GIMP Blog:
http://www.chromecode.com/