On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 18:31 -0500, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 01:04 +0200, LightningIsMyName wrote:
>
> a couple of comments
>
> > Make menus searchable
> >
> > ... i.e. have a textbox, in te menu for example, and anything typed
> > will be matched against all menu items and their blurbs and maybe
> > something more (like procedures not registered in menus).
>
> I still think the right way to do this is to have all the menus
> constructed through scripting, or at least to have ways to override and
> inspect all the menus from scripting.

The menus are defined in XML files which bind code-defined actions
to menu items. This stuff if fully introspectable and an experienced
GIMP coder can hack up a usable menu search in one day. Hardly a GSoC
project that would keep a new GIMP hacker busy for longer than two
weeks.

Tumbs down from here.

As to creating menus by scripting, I really don't see what would be
the purpose of that. The way we construct menus is completely to
GTK+ standards, with some GIMP specific additions. Overriding menus
from scripts feels like over-configurability to me and hardly like
a way to foster usability.

ciao,
--mitch