On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/8/11, Bogdan Szczurek wrote:
>
>>> Since we got carried away from the topic anyway, I keep hearing users
>>> complaining about various bits of GIMP still not color managed, most
>>> notoriously -- filter preview and sample points. The latter is sort of
>>> critical to those who uses separate+ and/or CMYKTool after editing
>>> things in GIMP. That makes one wonder if it will be addressed in 2.8
>>> or later.
>>
>> I think that we could touch here a broader problem of system wide
>> color management. I think leaving color management to every single
>> graphics editor separately is a no-no.
>
> Oh, but you don't have to do it :) GNOME Color Manager already
> provides D-Bus methods to request stuff like working color space
> profile. Any D-Bus enabled app (and GIMP is one) can do that. For 2.8,
> however, simply fixing what's already there would be enough.

I didn't know that (obviously ;)). It's nice, but I've got a hunch
that such thing should be placed "lower" than DM. My ideal would be
even something placed deeper than "display manager"/X.org.

I'd love to e.g. make my X theme using HSV or Lab color tuples. Also,
such thing could take color management and color model support
entirely of off applications shoulders.

> (Albeit I heard from users who deal with DTP that they actually like
> advanced cms display filter: http://registry.gimp.org/node/24944)

Hmmm… I'm not sure of the reason of having that.

Best regards!
thebodzio