[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  I'm actually asking myself where we should place the new docs
>  in the CVS.
>
>  It seems we have two choices:
>  1) Put them in help parallel to the other files
>  2) Create a new directory for them until everything (automatic creation
>  of HTML docs and indexing) is working good enough for production use
>  and we have more files translated to SGML.
>
>  I prefer the second solution because this won't render the old help
>  system useless in the meantime and can be easily removed for new
>  releases.
>
>  Thus I'd suggest making a new dir "newhelp" for our work...

Hi,

we've just created a new toplevel CVS module gimp-help.

Just go ahead and populate this directory. In the first time we'll take
care of committing the generated help files into gimp. Once the build
system is working (hopefully soon) we can include gimp-help as a virtual
module into the gimp CVS tree.

Of course you will need CVS access to add files to gimp-help. Have you
mailed [EMAIL PROTECTED] as Quartic suggested? In the meantime you can
mail diffs to us.

Regarding the directory structure of the help system. The new system
shouldn't change the structure of the installed help files if possible.
The structure with language support added on top of the existing would
look as follows:

[the installed tree]

<gimp-datadir>
  help
    images -- images without text

      images -- images with english text
      filters
      dialogs

    hu
      images -- images with hungarian text
      filters
      dialogs

A good idea for the tree under <gnomecvs>/gimp-help might be to
duplicate the directory structure above and to place the SGML
files in the same directories as the resulting HTML files:

<gnomecvs>/gimp-help
  help
    images -- images without text
      images -- ...
      filters
      dialogs

We can then include gimp-help/help as a virtual module and it will
appear as directory help in the gimp tree.

Of course the generated HTML files should not be in CVS: They will
however be included in the releases.

Mitch & Sven