On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 10:03:43AM +0200, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > although not all that much so.
>
> I was referring to the version of gimp-print that is included in gimp
> CVS. It was left unchanged by me despite the inclusion of the line
> #define GIMP_ENABLE_COMPAT_CRUFT in print_gimp.h. This seemed to work
> very well. I'm happy however that you've decided to switch to the new
> API.

Maybe it's just gimp-perl then. Maybe it's the fact that gimp-perl simply
relies on all symbols, while gimp-print probably only relies on the most
common (&small) subset. In that case, most probably only gimp-perl is hurt...
Which might also be the only plug-in where the community has considerable
need to be convinced that a new version of some tool is as stable as the old
one (because people's income depends on working servers) before they switch.

Anyway, I *did* switch to the new API before writing my lament. I wrote
that mail because I *do* think such an under-the-hood-change deep *within*
the feature freeze is highly unconventional.

So backwards compatibility is not just not my problem anymore.