On Saturday 26 December 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greetings all;
>
>I have a B&W Brother HL-2140 printer, that I normally use with a color
>computer, all setup and working in cups, in addition to several different
>profiles for an Epson NX515 combo printer that I bought to replace my old
>Epson C82 when the printhead in it finally expired.
>
>Everytime I run gimp to print something, I am reminded that its printer
>database is totally independent of the cups database.  And for some reason,
>tossing a gimp loaded .jpg at the NX515 only gets me about 80 pages of
> blank paper.  Or a printer jam, this NX515 is a POS compared to the old
> C82.
>
>So my question is: Where do I put the BR2140.ppd that cups uses so that the
>gutenprint plug-in can also find it?  The regular print dialog has no
>knowledge of this printer, and nowhere near enough controls to be usable.
>
>My wife, who needs about 8 pages of a Contata Finale piece printed on
> regular paper so they'll lay flat on the piano while she plays them, is
> checking to see if I've got this done yet about every station break on the
> tv.  And my sanity, if I ever had any, is receding.   Help!
>
>Thanks.

PS, & since no one has touched this one with a single character of reply,  I
found a workaround.  goto print, select the Brother from the printer listing
(after its setup with the new menu that's in there someplace), then do a
print preview which does display it in portrait, click on the full width
button on the menubar, then click on the print button on the preview screen.
It is then printed portrait, full sized.  Any other method prints it
landscape, slightly smaller in scale and still with some of the bottom
clipped off.

I feel like I'm playing connect the dots here folks.  The excedrin headache
number is approaching overflow status...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

There's no such thing as pure pleasure; some anxiety always goes with it.