On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM, David Gowers <00a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That sounds very much like it is attached in a non-standard way.

Actually, you're entirely right. If I assign an Adobe RGB profile to
the picture, then save it, and re-open it, THEN it asks me what to do
with the color profile, just like I expected it to. Apparently the
original file has the profile embedded in some different manner.
However, [big-brand commercial application] has no trouble determining
what the color space should be, even with the original files.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 6:23 PM, David Gowers <00a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also.. does that mean that you go to the 'Color profile' section of
> Image Properties and it says nothing / is blank?

Nope, it says it's sRGB. Regardless of what it SHOULD be, it always
says sRGB (until I assign a different color space manually). This is
wrong.

The files I'm working with right now are from my Pentax K-7 DSLR. The
JPG and TIF files it produces apparently have the color profile
embedded in a weird way, thereby keeping Gimp from seeing it. Now I
don't know how "weird" it is, since every commercial application I've
used has had no problems with it so far. It's only Gimp and Digikam
that are giving me trouble.

--
Frank Gore
Project Manager