On Tuesday, July 05, 2011 09:39:39 am Baughman, Richard P
USA CIV (US) wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> Have a customer requesting GIMP 2.6.x for project
starting within 2 weeks.

> IT department requires the software to be tested and
approved prior to any
> new software being installed within our Enterprise.
>
> Basically I understand GIMP to operate at the desktop...
>       It is an application that receives services from the OS
>
> ? what system ports (if any) are utilized by GIMP
> ? does the program traverse internet (80, 8080, 443 etc )
> ? are there any known vulnerabilities
>
> Appreciate your time and assistance.
>
> Thanks
> Rick

Gimp is an Open Source program that runs on MSWin, OS X and
Linux. It is similar in purpose to Photoshop but does not
produce CMYK output, just RGB.

To install Gimp you download it over the Internet. Please
visit http://www.gimp.org for details.

The user can click on the help facility and view the Gimp
Manual in an html viewer. Other than that there is no
operational connection to the internet. No ports are
opened. It is a stand-alone local program.

 Gimp has been in use for many years on many systems in
many shops. It is not scary.

I know of no vulnarabilities. But I operate on Linux where
vulnerabilities are seldom an issue.

--
John Culleton
Former manager, Systems Application Programming, Link

Former manager, Systems and Data Processing, Penberthy Div
of Houdaille Industries.

Former Chief, Automated Systems Office, Baltimore City
Department of Social Services.