On 08/23/2011 08:17 PM, Longstreet wrote:
> Hello all. Noob here, with a question. I've used GIMP just enough to
> humiliate myself at my lack of knowledge, and am trying to get a handle on
> the whole image manipulation thing.
>
> For a first project, I'm trying to make a wallpaper for my phone. My idea
> involves neon text (from the tutorial on this page
> http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/neon-glow-text) on top of a logo I've
> found in a jpg, both of those over a starry night sky.
>
> The text is no problem. The tutorial referenced above was easy to use and
> understand. I thought I could apply the same steps to the black-and-white
> image here http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb261/HHMACHSHOP/THEBOLT.jpg
> but it didn't work.
>
> I suppose the problem is that I'm starting with two different things, i.e.
> starting from scratch with the text vs trying to manipulate a jpg. I've tried
> experimenting along the way, but it's hard to experiment when I'm not sure
> what I'm doing in the first place. I'm sure what I'm trying is possible, but
> I'm not sure how to go about it.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions? Tia.

Another way is to create a "path" from the text and then use a Python
script of mine to neon-ify the text. It's all explained here (with
pointer to "engraving fonts" necessary in some cases):

<http://gimp-path-tools.sourceforge.net/>

The neon script is described in the "Decorations" page, and I recommend
reading the "Paths FAQ" page.

An exemple of what you can get with the script;
http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/12/46/16/36/neonof11.png

Btw,  a better format for these computer graphics is PNG, that you phone
will very likely accept.