On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 08:26:42 +0200
bobdobbs <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm using gimp 2.6.10 on ubuntu 10.10. I have a layered psd that has
> been edited using a CMYK colour profile. I'd like to open it. When I
> try, gimp gives me the error:
>
> Error loading PSD file: Unsupported color mode: CMYK
>
> Googling around gets me some interesting solutions. One is to use
> imagemagicks 'convert' to create each layer as a png. When I tried
> this, I got a whole bunch of generically named layers. Most of the
> conversions had failed, resulting in transparent png's with no
> content.
>

> I found this thread, nearly three years old, on ubuntuforums:
>
> One of the solutions proposed in it is to use a seperation filter
> that that has been created as a plugin. I found the homepage for such
> a plugin. It had a warning that the plugin should not be used, with a
> broken link to a better one to use.
>
> I also found this:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CMYK_support_in_The_GIMP#CMYK_color_and_The_GIMP
>
> This provides some information on the issue, and a link to a plugin
> package to help remedy. However, the plugin is about four years old.
>
> Is this a solved problem yet? Is it possible to open CMYK psd's in
> gimp? Thanks.

Scribus will import PSD and export e.g. png or tiff in RGB model.
However once you are in Scribus you may find that most of what you need
to do can be done in CMYK in that program. My rule is: if headed toward
web presentation work in RGB, if headed for print work in CMYK.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press