>Most libs need to be built on the target system, and require other libs
>(and include files, and so on). This makes it very difficult to 'put
>everything' somewhere else. Yet, it can be done, though...
>I just blew it :(

>-- Johan

Have a look at the link I provided above: there is an easy method to put
everything "somewhere else"; you just have to do it step by step, so each
component looks for its dependencies "somewhere else" first and then in the
standard places.

When I compiled the first 2.7 versions on Fedora 15, I had to compile GTK+,
GLib, and lots of dependencies more; everything went smoothly to /opt/gimp-2.7.

--
eduperez (via gimpusers.com)