>>> The program was first called The GIMP, and now is called GIMP to be less
>>> offensive; now should a letter be dropped, either GIM or IMP?
>>
>> No

>GIMP is an acronym.  It first stood for General Image Manipulation
>Program.  Later it got a new license, and the acronym now stands for
>GNU Image Manipulation Program.  Whether to call it GIMP or The GIMP
>is a matter of context and personal preference.

Indeed.  Do not change the name.  This nonsense about changing names to prevent
offending people is ridiculous and I'm damned tired of it.  It's all over the
place.  You know they don't call "special education" by that name any longer?
Once everyone knew what it meant, they changed the name as if it would change
what the class is for.  And think of how many name changes we've had for what
we sometimes call "African Americans" today.  (I'm down with Americans, but not
African... they're Americans!  It's good enough!)  And of course there is the
forever list of "Something"-challenged.  Really?  Let's just dip everything in
candy and be done with it... we all live in Willy Wonka land now where no one
gets hurt and you can eat everything.

You know what?  I change my mind.  Let's change the name.  Let's call it
"GIMPYS" for "Go IMP YourSelf!!"

Society needs to grow the heck up.  It's not the words, it's the meaning.  And
if the meaning of words is a problem, then people need to learn to deal with
THEIR OWN problem.  Words may change but the meanings never do.

--
erroneus (via gimpusers.com)