On 13 September 2012 08:26, Ryan Stark <efflux...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Yes, exactly, that is the problem. You can change the default brush
> largest size before compiling. Presently it's too large and this needs
> discussed with developers. I found somewhere how to change that code
> and it's very easy to do. Just find that one value and change it but
> also some UI that can be added to alter that largest brush size from
> Gimps UI. My Gimp is currently installed in the standard way. Next
> time I use it for painting I will compile and I'll document how to do
> that. At present, I can't even remember how to do that. I'm not even
> writing this from Linux. Somewhere on my Linux machine is a note on
> how to do it. This needs changing on Gimp. Whether you are using MIDI
> or a tablet slider, the largest size of brush is ludicrous. It effects
> all the brush sizing - stepping it up etc. It's no good.

What do you think would be a reasonable largest size multiplier
(as opposed to actual brush size)? The current value is 1000.0 -
in the previous version it was 10.0.Also, up to GIMP 2.6, feaures that
ranged
from 0 to 1000.0 (like actual brush radius) would vary in a logarithmic way,
meaning that if you started with a value of 5.0, small variations
close to that would make changes from 2 - to 20.0 --if you started at
500.00,
the same small variations could take you to 150.0 - 1000.0

Maybe, simply having the  largest brush size as  a value in preferences
could make up
for all use cases.