It is a known bug that GIMP completely fail to detect a tablet that does in
fact exist during its startup process (and there is no way to make GIMP
re-check its input devices besides closing GIMP and restarting).  To check if
this is the case with you, try running your pen across the tablet for a second
or two before you actually start GIMP (or access your GIMP shortcut via tablet
pen).

It may not be the problem, but if this step works then you have a pretty easy
workaround at your disposal.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ran...@hotmail.com