Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:21:44 -0500
From: war.tribe...@gmail.com
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Hello!

Hello
 all! I'm fairly new to GIMP and even after reading the user manual, it
stills seems to be written for someone with a Ph.D. What I'm trying to
do is to take a scanned hand drawn picture and trace over it to make a
brand new image that's cleaner and delete the scanned image from the
whole thing so that only the new, GIMP drawing is there. Remember, I
need this to be in layman's terms, please. I'm doing a google search to
find some tutorials that are easier to follow than the manual while I
wait for a reply. Thanks!

Boudi

The actual 'drawing' part is not quite as easy as it looks from a glance, but
the general steps are:

1 - Open your scanned image in GIMP.
2 - Select "Add New Layer" from the Layers menu.   The New Layer dialog pops
up, the only thing to check here is that the layer is initialized to
"Transparent".
3 - If you aren't already, ensure that the new layer is the one selected in the
Layers dialog.
4 - Draw away!
5 - There are two ways to 'remove' the old layer when you're done:  First, you
can simply hide it (click the eye icon in the layers dialog), which keeps it as
part of the open image (in case you need it later) or you can right-click its
entry in the layers list and select "Delete layer".
6 - Save and/or export the result as desired.  (Remembering that in 2.8 "Save"
is for XCF files only.)

-- Stratadrake
strata_ran...@hotmail.com