* fotch <for...@gimpusers.com> [06-08-14 10:16]:
> >* fotch <for...@gimpusers.com> [06-07-14 16:47]:
> >search google for your answer, but:  image_size != print_size
> >they are not the same thing!
>
> Patrick, Thanks for responding.  I did as you suggested and found the
> Gimp User Manual task: 4.3.  Change the Size of an Image for print.  I
> think I understand the difference between the two and the point you
> made.  However, I still don't understand why the image I'm looking at in
> print preview isn't the same size as the image I resized.

Again, image_size and print_size are two completely different things and
only related by expected quality output; larger image_size *frequently*
means better print quality, but not always.

> The background sized to 11x17 appears to be correct in print preview,
> but the image I resized (4x's it's original size) on the 11x17
> background prints as it's original size.

Yes, image_size != print_size

> I'm not sure if I'm explaining this correctly, but you can enlarge an
> image and print it out to it's new size can't you?

You certainly can, but you must change the *print_size* when you export
the image or in the print application.

> I'm on a Mac and can't figure out how to do a screen capture to show you
> what I'm talking about.

I do not need it.  I understand what you are saying, but I have failed to
make you understand the difference between image_size and print_size.

> Any other thoughts?

open your image in gimp
select "image" then "print size"
adjust the print_size, width/height or x/y resolution
export the image or print from gimp paying attention to "print size" and
  making necessary adjustments if needed.

There are explanations:
  http://easybasicphotography.com/image-resolution-pixels-print-sizes.html
  http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/image-resolution/

Megabytes of an image explains the "storage" size on disk
Height/width explains/describes the "canvas" size which is *not* the
  display or print size

Pixels describes the number of points per inch/... that an image is set to
  display or print
The same image will display much smaller on a 1920x1080 screen that it
  will on a 1024x768 screen (from the pixel setting)

If you enlarge the "canvas" size of an image x2 w/o changeing the pixel
  settings, you halve the pixel settings; ie: 300x300 to 150/150.  (really
  you have quartered it taking width and height into account).

I hope this helps.