Of course, the documentation in this case is an obvious mismatch to
what the program does.
The current behavior is useless, under any workflow I try to imagine (after all,
if the layers are to be flattened, there is no reason for place them
in a group to start with);

Anyway, the "right" fix for this wouldbe to allow multiple item selection, as
Alex puts it.

Meanwhile, I've put together this small Python script that does just that:
move the selected (linked) layers to a target (active) layer group.

Just copy it to your plug-ins folder, and mark it as executable (not
needed under windos)
http://fpaste.org/183299/

  js
 -><-