* JamesB <for...@gimpusers.com> [01-23-16 19:02]:
> >Dear Partha

> >When trying this procedure indeed, the ufraw soft is launched but it
> >says
> >
> >TIFF image error
> >Unknown field with tag 36867 (0x9003) encountered
> >
> >So I think it tries to open it as a TIFF image. Eventhough it still
> >opens the image as thumbnail, very odd.
> >
> >Regards
> >Alex
>

> Am struggling to use gimp for the past month.  Thinking of going back to
> Photoshop.
>
> Do we expect to have the NEF issue solved once and for all in the near future,
> since this is ongoing for some time?

There is *not* a "NEF issue" as .nef is a nikon proprietary file which
need dcraw or ufraw front end to open and pass to gimp.  gimp by itself
cannot open a nef file.  I don't work on windows, but linux.  Partha may
have added something to his gimp packages to facilitate opening non-open
format files, but to my knowledge, gimp must call an external program to
pass nef files to it.  gimp is *not* photoshop.