>Good morning,
>
>I have a family tree picture that has blank rectangles and ovals in
>its branches to add pictures.
>
>What is the best way to go about doing that?
>
>Can I select the area within the rectangles/ovals and then import a
>picture into the selection and then resize the picture as needed to
>fill the selection (the imported picture will be much larger than the
>selection so I'll need to reduce it)?
>
>Or is there another way?
>
>Thank you!!!

There is another way.

A lot depends on your 'family tree picture' and if it is a suitable size in
pixels.

This example comes from a PDF (right side of screenshot)  imported into Gimp at
300 ppi.

The best way is use layer mask. some references

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-layer-mask-add.html

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Layer_Masks/ although not particularly relevant.

With a white layer mask.

In the image you can select inside the 'squares' and then in the layer mask fill
with black.

This then becomes a 'window' on anything underneath.

Importing photos, then scaling and moving the layer gives the result.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/940/original/tree.jpg

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)