Here is an old script I use for just this. I created a shortcut to drop
crosshairs whenever I need them. I like it because there are no menus or
options, just hit the shortcut and it's done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7axl454tbx44i4k/Gregs%20Crosshairs.scm?dl=1

For more complicated guides, I use either the ofn-guides like rich posted, or
Arakne Guide Lab.

http://www.arakne.es/en/dessign/gimp-guideslab-edit-guides-numerically/

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018, at 1:59 PM, Trev81 wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I'm using GIMP 2.10, and I find that a very common thing I do when I work in
> GIMP is creating vertical and horizontal percentage guides at 50%. I feel like
> there has to be a way to automate this by scripting, but I'm not entirely sure
> how to go about it. I DID find a couple links to old plugins that would work
> perfectly, but unfortunately all the links I've found so far have been dead.
> Can
> anyone point me in the right direction for some plugins that will do this? Or
> some resources to script it myself? Thanks!
>
> --
> Trev81 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

  akovia