>Hello, everyone. I followed the Gimp video tutorial for background
>removal. Everything seemed to go as directed until it came time to
>delete that background layer from the image so that the foreground
>image remained. Once I deleted the background layer I selected, the
>whole image showed as nothing but a transparent frame. Can anyone tell
>me what I did wrong? I have attached my screen shots of what resulted.
>Thank you in advance. --Kim

Unfortunately your screenshots do not provide much in the way of information.

Make a full interface shot like the attached (Gimp 2.8) and give the version of
Gimp (2.8 or 2.10 ) together with your computer operating system (Windows /
linux / OSX)

The only thing you can say is your selection could be better. Apart from that,
the procedure might be

1. Make sure the image has an alpha-channel (for transparency) Layer ->
Transparency -> Add alpha channel

2. Make a selection around the bit you want to keep. Various tools for this
free-select / scissors / foreground select. Fuzzy/Colour select best on plain
backgrounds. All depends on the image.

3. Invert the selected foreground Select -> Invert

4. Cut the selection Edit -> Cut

5. Select -> None

You do not need more than one layer, except often a light grey under shows up
any edge errors. Save as a .xcf keeps layers / selections etc. Export as a png
for a flattened image with transparency.

Out of interest, which video tutorial? There are other ways of extracting a
foreground, the Gimp plugin g'mic has a useful filter.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1038/original/before-cut.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1039/original/after-cut.jpg