On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Sam Jones wrote:

> > I'm working on some illustrations, and am not entirely satisfied with the
> > fact that they look very artificial and computer-generated.  Does anyone
>
> I'm a big fan of a rough hand-drawn look.  One thing I did that I'm
> halfway happy with is a crosshatch filter I made for GIMP with
> gimp-perl.  It doesn't always create a believable cross-hatch effect.  It
> depends on the subject and the settings.
>
> If you're creating stuff from scratch, there's nothing like a graphics
> tablet.

[snip]

Well, as I was explaining to someone just yesterday, there is still
nothing like a pen, pencil or brush. When I want realistic artwork, I do
it by hand. Then digicam or scan it, and then retouch, colour, add text or
intensify features with the gimp and my wacom tablent, or ordinary mouse.

ie:

http://www.katewerk.com/shikari/shikari.jpg
http://www.katewerk.com/summerset/summerset2_color.jpg

Using the tools for their own sake was fun for awhile, but when the
novelty wore off and frustration set in, I went to a mix of hand and
computer techniques.

Perhaps I'm biased - I once worked at a sign company that invested in a
computer design and layout system that literally doubled manufacturing
time over that of the previous manual design/opaque projector technique.

--
Kate
http://www.katewerk.com