    Amit> Can anyone explain to me what optical resolution means. I am
    Amit> looking at the product specification of an Epson scanner and
    Amit> it says that the optical resolution is 1600x3200 dpi.  What
    Amit> does this mean ?

Optical resolution is the real resolution of the scanner.  Anything
higher is interpolated and you can do at least as well in the GIMP as
the scanner will do.

Generally, I don't count on anything higher than the lower number;
i.e., for your case, I treat 1600x3200dpi as 1600dpi.

And to avoid the whole problem with asymmetric resolution, I just
bought an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo scanner with 2400dpi optical
resolution.  We used to have an (old) Scanmaker E3 with 300x600dpi
optical resolution, but I found trying to operate it at 300x600
instead of 300x300 just caused little jaggies in the results; I don't
think the stepper motors were doing a good job position the platform.
Newer scanners should do better, but I still prefer the scanners with
resolution the same in both directions.

roland
--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B