> Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:38:44 -0600
> From: "Jim Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Carving away
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Message: 1
>
> I have stumbled into this effect before but do not
> remember how. I want to
> place text on a picture, but create a carved look
> around the letters as if
> the picture was scraped away and the letters were
> revealed. A nice recessed
> 3-D look. Not torn away, but just bordered a little
> to make the letters
> look behind.
>
> Hope that explains it....now can someone point me to
> instructions?
>
> Thanks-
>
> Jim Clark

Hi Jim,

I think what you stumbled into was the inverted
bumpmap. when you make a for the letters to be bumped
up into the above layer, you can reverse this so that
the letters seem to be pressed into the above picture.
that might be the look your looking for. if so, in the
bumpmap dialog box click the invert option.

peace,
Ariel Kass