Thus spoke John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Understood. The reference to Gimp 2.0 and CMYK is the closest thing to
> a commitment to incorporate useful CMYK capability in Gimp that I
> have come across. There are two markets, on-line stuff and printed
> stuff. Without CMYK Gimp is limited to the first and effectively
> locked out of the second. Hence it cannot be considered as a complete

Depends on your point of view.  I've done several covers for Linux Journal
using nothing but GIMP without CMYK.  LJ took my uncompressed TIFF submission
and let their printer handle CMYK issues.  I've done similar things for CD
covers and other prints.  I did the cover to my first book with GIMP.

Many smaller print houses have been eager to work with me on issues like this
- essentially I'm handing off the CMYK work to them.

So you aren't "effectively" shut out of the print market.  It just depends on
how precise you need to be.  In my case, none of the prints I've done have
been significantly altered by the printers doing the CMYK work for me.

> Photoshop replacement no matter how many marvelous tricks it will do.=20

Again, depends on what you're working on.

> CMYK is the one bold move that would make all the difference in
> publishing.=20

But this I have to agree with.  GIMP does need CMYK support for wider
acceptance.  One can always argue if "wider acceptance" is necessary.  Depends
on the established goal, I suppose.

> I hope for a world where the non-conformist can do whatever he/she
> needs to do with free software. The only non-free program I use
> regularly is called Mup, a music notation program I paid $29.00 for
> many years ago. TeX means never having to buy InDesign or Quark for
> typesetting. Gimp should mean never having to buy PhotoShop for book
> covers. Until that happy day I will struggle along with Gimp +
> pnmtotiffcmyk.

Mostly true.  But I went through this with book publishers too way before
OpenOffice and AbiWord were as stable as they are now.  I got them to work
with RTF and Applix (which isn't open source, but was available for Linux at
the time).  I just had to explain my position and need to use the products I
was writing about.  The same can be said for GIMP and printers.  You just have
to work a little harder to get things done with those who do not use your
tools.

--
Michael J. Hammel           |   I hope that after I die people will say of me:
The Graphics Muse           |   "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."