Nigel Ridley wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know this isn't exactly Gimp stuff - but I am trying to access my new
> USB scanner through the Gimp:
> File -> Acquire -> Xsane: Device dialog
> and I figured that lots of you guys must have already set up a USB scanner
> :-)
> Anyway, I've done a lot of google-ing but so far have been unable to find
> out how
> to set it up.
> When I re-booted the system (I installed a new sound card - SBLive [which
> I'm still trying to get working]) the usb modules loaded ok and I have an
> entry /dev/usb/scanner0 (-rw-rw-rw-). However, when I try to access it
> from within the Gimp (or thru Xsane), I get an error message that no
> devices are available.
>
> I did do a 'sane-find-scanner -v' and got the following:
> sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/usb/scanner0... open ok, vendor and
> product ids were identified
> sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x04a5, product = 0x20b0)
> at device /dev/usb/scanner0
>
> Do I have to mount the scanner first- if so what do I put in /etc/fstab?
> Or is it that I have to make the system think that it is a scsi device?
>
> Any pointers welcome :-)
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

First, you have to get your scanner working under XSane.  This problem is not
a GIMP problem and I'm willing to work with you on this offline.  I have a HP
ScanJet 5200C (USB) that I use with GIMP and XSane without problems.  I also
encountered the same problem you did and WAS able to get it resolved through
XSane configuration changes.

E-mail me your scanner make/model and we can go from there.... :)

Peace...

Tom