I am new to the gimp and have been working with a scanned sketch.  I am
attempting to change the background (now white) to a transparent
background however I am having difficulty separating the actual sketch
from the background.  I have searched through gimp tutorials, help and
several books as well as the archives however I have not been successful
at accomplishing this.  If anyone has any suggestions on how I might do
this or point me in the right direction for further instruction, I would
be most appreciative.  Thanks in advance.