Another option:

Ctrl-D to duplicate image

R-click image-->canvas size

click on the chain icon to the right of the X & Y ratio field near the
middle of the dialogue box.  (this means you can resize the canvas
without preserving aspect ratio)

choose a new height dimension & position the original image on the new
canvas using the guide at the bottom of the box.

create a new transparent layer with the layers, channels & paths
dialogue as described below.

use the text tool to write your caption, then the move tool to
reposition the layer you've worked on.

HTH

> > - Right-click.  Select Layers->"Layers, Channels & Paths".
> >   A dialog appears.
> > - On the Layers dialog, click on the bottom left-most buttion (tooltip
> >   says "new layer").
> > - Select "white"
> >   (The new layer should appear on top, so it hides your orignal image).
> > - On the "GIMP" window (not the image window) select the text tool
> >   (it's a big T).
> > - Left-click the image window.
> > - In the Text tool dialog, type in the text that you want.
> >   You can select the font and size.  The color will match the current
> >   foreground color.  It doesn't matter where the text is, we'll move
> >   it later.
<snip>