On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:47:56AM +0200, Andrew Langdon-Davies wrote:
| I know there's already been a lot of discussion on this subject and I've
| read pages and pages, but I'm still unclear. I realise that just about all
| recent browsers support PNGs. But, is it or is it not possible for IE (v.
| 5, for example) to correctly display a PNG with a fully transparent
| background so that anything behind it shows through? My PNGs are OK in
| Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, Konqueror and Nautilus, but in IE they have a
| rectangular white background that completely wrecks the effect.
| TIA,
| Andrew

It is possible to achieve this using DirectX on IE under Windows.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q294714

The reason that IE does not support alpha may be due to a
design issue, rather than their reluctance to support PNG.
You can achieve 1-bit transparency for example.

Mukund