Eric,

> So the merge is on?

A restricted code merge has been underway for months, with CinePaint
scavenging useful bits from GIMP 1.2.

The CinePaint code tree was reorganized to separate source files sensitive
to bit-depth from those that are not. Some GIMP 1.2 source files were then
swapped out with the latter without anyone noticing.

Some GIMP 1.2 plug-ins can now compile as-is under CinePaint's 1.0-like
plug-in API, and that situation is improving all the time. Our new plug-in
compatibility layer (PICL) enables CinePaint to accept plug-ins utilizing
the GIMP 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2 APIs. Although code compatible, the plug-ins must
be recompiled. Don't try to use plug-in binaries from GIMP in CinePaint.

Despite the code reuse in some areas, CinePaint and GIMP are actually
diverging. CinePaint has a very different vision for the future than GIMP.
We're pulling in features that further our mission, rejecting others as
irrelevant, and building new designs that have no counterpart in GIMP.

CinePaint won't go back to being Film Gimp and can't ever rejoin the GIMP
project. That irreversible decision was made -- or not made according to
Sven -- in 2000, long before I came on the scene. GIMP misplaced three
man-years of Hollywood-funded open source work. That's an immense amount of
time and money to lose, especially for an open source project. There can be
no going back.

Cheers,

Robin