On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 10:34:07PM +0100, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > and reconfiguration, for example assign some F# keys to some Filters
> > that are going to be used a lot in a row, but probably not in next
> > work session or image.
>
> I am fully aware of this since I use this feature myself. The menu
> editor I proposed should allow you to this almost as quick and a lot
> more convenient than it is now. We might even allow a shortcut for

I am guessing here, but it looks to me as if you are talking of two
different things: No menu editor will be "almost as quick" and "more
convinient" when it goes to dynamically reconfiguring shortcuts.

For example, when I use a filter twice in a row it usally gets a shift-f
shortcut assigned by me. No dialog can make that faster for me.

I guess there are three styles of usages:

- mnemonics (i rarely used them under windows, and never under unix)
- shortcuts relatively static (get used often by me)
- shortcuts, dynamic (get used often by me)

As you can see, I am not the mnemonics type, but I am also not the icon
type (if I had time I'd donate a text version of the toolbox :). Others
might have problems with dynamic shortcuts and need mnemonics to support
their style of work.

All that is well. And if my type is the absolue minority and people _do_
get confused by dynamic shortcuts (something I personally have never seen
evidence of, but I don't deny it's possible existence), then switching it
off by default is a sane decision.

Howwver, I think the disucssion in the past suffered from the "my style is
the only style" problem on all sides.