On Monday 29 December 2003 03:42 pm, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just bought a scanner.  It was at a good price (since they were
> trying to get rid of Christmas stock).  I was hoping someone could
> help me figure out if it's a good scanner or not.  I use GIMP for
> amateur photo editing, and I want to get an idea of what I can expect
> to do with this scanner plus GIMP.
>

> This is an HP "scanjet" 4500c.  I paid $50 CAN for it (~$30 USD)
> including a warranty (from a reputable retailer).
>
> The box says that the scan resolution goes up to 2,400 dpi, but I
> don't know if that's optical (real) resolution, or interpolated
> resolution.  And the user manual doesn't say.
>
> Does anyone know anything about this scanner?
>

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Cheers,
===============

Daniel,

I am going to guess you didn't get the provided manual, etc with your
scanner, since it was such a bargain.  If that is the case, then you
can go to HP's site and pick up a manual in PDF form.  You should also
be able to view the specs on the unit.  If you did get the manual, then
the specs are there about the dpi.

The 4500 should give you pretty good results, although certainly not
professional.  The best flatbed scanners I have used, have been the
Epson Photo scanners.  Overall, I think you'll be happy with the unit.

Patrick
        Registered Linux User #225206
 On any other day, that might seem strange...