I have a fairly simple gif image that has various shades of brown. I'd
like to have the same image but with various shades of grey instead.
What would be the easiest way of doing this? Is there an algorithmic way
of converting the brown range to a grey range? Given that I could easily
change the values in the colormap.

I'm very much a novice at this sort of thing so I'm just fumbling my way
around. Any help would be much appreciated.

--
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, Yet I will endure the
 darkness for it shows me the stars." -- Og Mandino